Torpedoes Swim Team Mission Statement
The New Territory Torpedoes Swim Team brings children, parents and neighbors together for fun, interactive, recreational, competitive swimming that enhances the confidence and character of swimmers while developing a lifelong skill and enjoyment of the sport of swimming.
Registration will be delayed due to the additional planning for COVID-19 restrictions to the following date(s):
MARCH 1, 2021 - Registration open to returning swimmers and siblings.
MARCH 15, 2021 - Registration open to everyone.
We WILL be number limited due to capacity restrictions, so please make sure to register as soon as possible to secure your spot and help us plan practices and more effectively.
Expect COVID-19 protocols to be similar to the 2020 season. We will schedule a parent zoom meeting to discuss closer to the first practice date.
FAQs for 2021 Swim Season Registration
Q: How much is registration?
A: Registration is $140 per swimmer. If you do not live in New Territory, there is an additional $25 fee per swimmer to cover additional facilities costs.
($5 Credit if you opt out of an end of the season medal.)
Q: When are the practices?
Daily weekday practices TBD but are tenatively planned to start the last week of April.
Check this page for up-to-date information about practice times and locations. Practice schedule for Meet of Champions and All-Stars are to be determined.
Practice locations will be at The Club Pool and Ellis Creek Pool in New Territory.
Q: When are the meets?
A: TBD Due to safety considerations. There will be 5 regular season virtual meets on Tuesday evenings. Meet of Champions and All Stars are TBD. We will update you when we know more.
Q: Do I have to volunteer for the meets? What do I do if I am unable to volunteer for the meets?
A: Yes, each family must volunteer for the meets. We will be providing a list of high school/college students who will be available to work shifts for payment. As the parent volunteer, you are solely responsible for the payment and attendance of said students.
Q: Am I eligible to swim?
A: Swimmer Eligibility & Meet Participation:
The SHRSL Season is defined as March 31 of current season through the Post Season All Star Meet.
a. A swimmer’s age on May 31st of the current year shall determine the age group for competitions (swimmers age 3-18 are allowed to swim with Torpedoes).
b. A swimmer may not change their team affiliation after May 15; after which, a swimmer shall practice and compete with only one SHRSL swim team per season.
c. A swimmer participating in any NCAA Swimming program (practice OR competition) is ineligible for SHRSL participation.
d. A swimmer may not participate nor compete in a non-SHRSL practice(s) or competition after March 31. (*See Considerations below)
Considerations for non-SHRSL swim participation after March 31:
a. Allowed is participation for school related, academic grade in an Olympic Development program, such middle school or high school swimming programs, may continue to practice through the end of the academic year,
b. No training or participation in competition or sanctioned meets including UIL, USA Swimming, CCAA or any other swimming competition is allowed.
c. Allowed are seven (7) days of clinic/camp instruction.
New Territory Torpedoes Swim Team offers scholarships for our senior swimmers who have swam on the team for 4 out of their 5 seasons of high school. Scholarships are $500 for each eligible graduating senior made payable to the college of their choice.
- Label EVERYTHING – suits and t-shirts are the same, and goggles and clothes are flying around and being trampled. Bring an extra towel and change of clothes. The kids get in and out of the pool a lot and things seem to get left on the wet ground.
- Bring your own chairs. There will not be enough seating for everyone.
- Swim meets last for hours and the kids (and parents!) get hungry. Concessions with are available, so bring cash. Many parents also opt to bring a small cooler.
- DO NOT park on New Territory Blvd or on the lake side of Walker School Rd. You WILL be towed.
- Mark your swimmer with their swimmer number with a black sharpie (right hand and right shoulder blade) before they come and before applying sunscreen (sunscreen is oily and the marker won’t write over it). Swimmer numbers can be found on the website. The numbers are the 2 letter team designation (we are NW, NOT NT for Tarpons) followed by a 3 digit number unique to each swimmer on the team.
- Age Group Marshalls are there to help! They will check in the swimmers, get them marked with their events, get them lined up and in the proper lanes, and make sure the kids stay in their designated tent area. However, Age Group Marshalls are NOT babysitters. If you are not working a volunteer shift that is stationary to one spot, you should be keeping an eye on your kids. Tablets and small games/activities are helpful.
- Have fun! First meets can be overwhelming and intimidating. Remember: we are here to have FUN. Meets are a celebration and test of each swimmer’s individual progress. Please keep your feedback positive and in perspective! What they have accomplished already is amazing – I’ve seen fears conquered and some real dedication to daily practice.
- Other Info:
Check out the Torpedoes Shop!! We have some amazing gear to show your support for your favorite swim team including purple baseball caps and visors with the Torpedoes logo, draw string bags, high performance t-shirts, hand fans, event lanyards, yard signs, swim caps, and more. You can order online using a credit card or arrange to purchase with cash or check.
At practice, if you move chairs or tables at the pool for shade or comfort, please make sure to put things back where you found them. We always have to leave the pool decks the way we found them.